Social media is constantly changing. Facebook puts out changes on a quarterly basis, Google+ reportedly adds 100 improvements a day, and there are new social contenders cropping up every time you turn around. So many options, so many variables, so many opinions… what do you do?
Here’s the best advice I can give you:
- Limit the time you spend on social media. Turn on a timer and when it goes off, that’s it for the day. How much time can you spend, that depends on your business.
- Limit the number of services you use at a time. It will take some time to understand the service and get things right. Once you have a good handle on one, then start working on your next choice.
- Test, test, test. It will take time to get the winning formula for you, test your message on multiple services and take notes as to what works and what doesn’t.
- Done be solely inbound. You have to interact with others to get followers/likes. Just building your page on the service doesn’t mean anyone is going to see it.
- Write down goals related to your business. These are things like, reaching X number of new customers, X% increase in sales tracked through the social media service. If you don’t have goals like these, you don’t know if what you are doing is truly effective.
Do you think I missed anything, comment below?