Many times we think business is all about us, our needs, what we want and how we can make money. This may be true for some businesses, but those won’t be in business long and will never become great. The success of great businesses comes down to “them!”
Zig Ziglar used to say, “You can have everything you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want.”
When we focus on our needs we can’t focus on our customer’s needs. When you don’t focus on their needs, you can’t create exceptional value for them. You may complete the project, deliver the product or provide the service but it will be an average experience. You will be seen as average at best, greedy at worst.
To avoid being just average, you have to create a client centric approach, a “Them” approach. Most businesses claim that they are client centric, but you rarely see it. Here are some ways you can create a “Them” approach:
- Communication – You have to communicate with your clients often, otherwise they may forget you are there, especially after the work is done.
- Promises – It’s so important to keep your promises, but you can easily exceed what is promised as well to leave a lasting impression.
- Connections – You need to find ways to help your customers beyond what you offer them. Suggest connections to other people and companies that you know that can solve other problems for them.
- Helpful – Find a way to go a little beyond each day to help not only your customers but others… for free.
- Services – Go above an beyond what’s expected. Deliver more value than what they pay for.
What would you add to this list? Please comment below.